Day 17 and 18 - "I'm not embarrassed to talk about thrush."

I've done it! I've applied for a job that I'm really excited about in hope that I will be considered for the role. In my personal statement, I poured my heart out over adult literacy and the need for change within Higher Education and did all of this at a time where my energy has been completely depleted. I'm proud of myself. 

It has rained consistently for the past two weeks now and I feel like it's autumn again. The skies are grey and heavy, flowers and plants have been flattened by the rain and hail, and I just want to stay warm and indoors. My morning and lunchtime shakes have dwindled and my nutritional routine has gone down the pan. I am noticing subtle changes in myself, but my eating habits are screaming about these changes more audibly. I seem to want warm food and drinks, sweeter foods (which I'm trying to compensate with fruit), and hot chocolate! It's bizarre. To make things worse, I think I'm getting thrush! I haven't had thrush for a while, but perhaps there is a slight hormone imbalance here, are my estrogen levels slightly higher than normal? If so, this would also explain all of the above.

Before we move on from my last comment, let me just add that I am not embarrassed to talk about thrush. Yet, when women generally do, it's often considered to be this dirty, fungal infection that we have somehow caused. As a teenager, I used to get episodes of thrush near my period and was often given creams to help with the flare-up. As a teen, I didn't have the courage to tell my GP that my thrush wasn't on the outside, but the inside of my vagina. I often thought about telling him once, but it was his reaction I feared the most and not the uncomfortableness of what seemed to always be on the tip of my tongue. Creams never helped for this reason. It wasn't until I was diagnosed with Endo that I understood that internal thrush could be episodic in Endo women, yet again, something that isn't taught or mentioned to you when you're introduced to YOUR cycle in school talks and pathetic diagrams. 

Despite generally feeling a bit naff today, I have had such a lovely week. I've met up with my friend at a local pub, booked and received my first Pfizer vaccine, and managed to mark most of the student assignments from the previous week. I have soldiered through the tiredness and managed to fit in my evening yoga sessions which have made me feel amazing. I am trying to take heed of my cycle (and my tarot readings) and rest up, but there are so many exciting things happening in my life right now that it's pretty difficult to sit back and let life happen.

As both my and husband I have had the vaccine, this weekend will be a quiet one. I have no idea how my body will react to the injection and hope there isn't interference with my menstrual cycle. To be honest, I've felt pretty anxious about the whole thing. I mean, I'm not ungrateful by any means, but when you aren't taking medication and are currently experiencing good health, the thought of having a concoction of things pumped into your arm can be quite daunting. Practising my daily gratitude, I am thankful for the opportunity to have had this vaccine, and should consider myself to be extremely fortunate.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Until next time. 




Comments