Days 11 and 12 - Ovulation Mindset: "Chuck-it-in-the-fuck-it-bucket"

Ovulation - A time of mild cramping and general discomfort. This morning I felt the dull ache in my right side and instantly knew what time it was. For me, ovulation is Ecstasy. I feel more at ease with myself and feel emotionally awoke. It's also the time when I am most likely to connect with others; meet friends, arrange meetings, and catch up with family. I feel strong, independent and full of life. My eyes are bright, my skin glows, and I love myself to the fucking core. 

As luck would have it, I had booked an appointment with my local hair salon at 9am this morning as part of my "easing-out-of-pandemic" treat. The last time I sat in the hairdressing chair was in December, and I had no idea that I would have to wait this long for my next appointment. As usual, I had created a Mood Board from Pinterest, and had pinned all of the hair inspiration that I had found under a board called 'May Mood Board.' As I began scrolling through the images whilst Sarah (my hairdresser) brought me coffee, I noticed that most of the hair colours and styles that I had pinned were very similar. All of the images were of women with blonde hair tousled hair with dark roots and light ends.  The technique used to create this style (balayage/ombre) is a technique with takes around 4 hours to complete. Every 6-8 weeks I spend 4 hours (sometimes more) in a chair scrolling through social media, whilst my hair is prepped and my colour is developed. However, the last few days I had begun adding hairstyles and colours to the board which fell out of the "norm" for me. These styles consisted of lavender and grey locks flecked with turquoise and pastel pink. Obviously, these styles are far from "work perfect", and potentially, my employer would hate any of those choices (should I choose to pursue one of them), but honestly, my inner-ego didn't (and perhaps still doesn't) give two-fucks!

Welcome to my mind-set during ovulation! The chuck-it-in-the-fuck-it-bucket mindset, which would get me sacked if I allowed it to be all-consuming. Of course, Sarah was there to talk me through both processes and allowed me to carefully consider my options, but if I had been left alone in that chair to make my own choices, my hair would look very different today. 

Yes - I stayed blonde, but that's not the point. The point is that during ovulation I take risks. I leap instead of stepping down, run instead of walking, and will make spontaneous decisions with little thought. I am dynamite.

During today's salon visit, the dull aching in my right side quickly developed into moderate cramping. On occasion, the pain was so intense that I had to lift myself off the salon chair to allow, what felt like, an electrical charge to pass through me. Now what most women fail to mention, or fail to describe to fellow women, is the fact that these particular pains do not travel across the abdomen. They are not your regular cramps or shooting pains, they are sharp pains that seem to want to travel directly up through your arse to your spine. These pains are intense. Women who experience these pains mid-conversation will often have to change their stance, bend over, or even sit down. You may notice their facial expression change, their voice becomes higher, or a sudden dreaded gasp which results in a fight or flight moment. 

Now, I don't mean to speak on behalf of ALL women, but a high percentage of those who I have spoken to have admitted that they too experience these pains. Often, when I am either experiencing or describing these pains to another woman, their response, "OH! I get these too", is normally followed by "I thought I was the only one." 

Again, normalising these conversations are fucking important. 

So today, despite being happy and energetic, I've experienced horrendous arse pain which has almost certainly made my toes curl and my eyebrows raise. 

If you're not experiencing arse pain today, I hope you're having a lovely Saturday evening. I have a chilled bottle of wine in the fridge, a catch-up with my girls on Zoom this evening, and a Sweet and Sour curry to devour later.

Until next time. 

Comments